www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [License-discuss] [Non-DoD Source] Re: US Army Research Laboratory Open Source License proposal
Date Thu, 18 Aug 2016 20:43:06 GMT
On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 1:23 PM, Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL
(US) <cem.f.karan.civ@mail.mil> wrote:

> The current lack of legal analysis is the problem.  If they had complete
> analysis and full guidance about the license, we wouldn't be here at all!

>From the outside, this seems to be a problem which can only be solved
from the top.

Perhaps if the ARL OSL were to be published, or if a new version of
the Apache License were to incorporate the relevant suggestions, one
constituency within the US government might be satisfied. But there
are bound to be other constituencies and other lawyers who disagree
with the analysis and who would argue, just as vehemently as we have
seen here, that a different solution is required.

Marvin Humphrey