www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: Is it ok to put ASF header onto ALv2 compatibly licensed code?
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2016 00:35:55 GMT
On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 5:04 PM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Suppose I have a source file under MIT license and all I want to do is
>> to add a bit of verbiage that, when distributed as part of the ASF project, the code
>> is redistributed (NOT re-licensed) under the ALv2 (on top of originally being available
>> under the MIT license).
>
> Unless the changes are significant the file would still be under MIT and have a MIT header.

Lets focus on unmodified 3d party MIT licensed code.

> See point 4 of [1] Your changes are copyright you (or your employer depending on your
contract) and the changes you made would be under APv2.

There are no changes of mine.

> You would leave the header alone.

There's no original MIT header (as customary in many MIT-licensed projects).

> If large changes were made you might add a note saying this was done.
>
> At some point it may be decided that there’s significantly more ALv2 code and there
than MIT code then the PMC would decide what to do. See point 5 of [1]. I've seen a few approaches
here at this point:
> A. Add an APv2 header above the MIT one.
> B. Add an APv2 header and a note that the original code was copyright X and MIT licensed.
Leave the MIT license in LICENSE.
> C. Replace MIT with APLv2 (hopefully with original owners permission). And perhaps add
to NOTICE that a copyright header has been replaced.

All of that is fine, but it doesn't address my original, much narrower
question. So let me re-state:
I have a file that is licensed under MIT but has no header file to say
so. I include it in my ASF
project. What's the ASF sanctioned way to make a statement that this
file has been sublicensed
(not re-licensed) under ALv2?

Please, with the context of what I said above (not assuming anything
else, like future modifications, etc.)
give me a set of steps to do the right thing with this file.

Thanks,
Roman.