www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Is it ok to put ASF header onto ALv2 compatibly licensed code?
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2016 14:54:29 GMT
Hi,

> I said this in the other thread, but AIUI, headers are technically optional.

There's nothing in the MIT legal terms that say you need to add a header but it’s still
considered best practise.

Note that you do need to add a header for Apache V2 license (see appendix on how to apply
the license to your work [1]), and other licenses like the GPL (see “how to apply” in
that). I’d also suggest you read the advice here [2], here [3] and here [4] (see "Best practices
for maintaining license information”) and this "how to apply the MIT license" [5].

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0#apply
2. http://producingoss.com/en/license-quickstart.html