www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Is it ok to put ASF header onto ALv2 compatibly licensed code?
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2016 00:04:06 GMT
Hi,

> Suppose I have a source file under MIT license and all I want to do is
> to add a bit of verbiage that, when distributed as part of the ASF project, the code
> is redistributed (NOT re-licensed) under the ALv2 (on top of originally being available
> under the MIT license).

Unless the changes are significant the file would still be under MIT and have a MIT header.
See point 4 of [1] Your changes are copyright you (or your employer depending on your contract)
and the changes you made would be under APv2. You would leave the header alone. If large changes
were made you might add a note saying this was done.

At some point it may be decided that there’s significantly more ALv2 code and there than
MIT code then the PMC would decide what to do. See point 5 of [1]. I've seen a few approaches
here at this point:
A. Add an APv2 header above the MIT one.
B. Add an APv2 header and a note that the original code was copyright X and MIT licensed.
Leave the MIT license in LICENSE.
C. Replace MIT with APLv2 (hopefully with original owners permission). And perhaps add to
NOTICE that a copyright header has been replaced.

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#3party