www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Compatibility of Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0
Date Fri, 26 Aug 2016 17:27:59 GMT

[orcmid]

No, it is not compatible with Apache License v2.0. CC-SA place restrictions beyond those of
Apache License v2.0. The ASF has placed limitations on the use of such works in Apache projects.

> I did a bit of googling and came across [2], there I could find only
> about Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.5 and Creative Commons
> Attribution-Share Alike 3.0. Hence this query about version 4.0.
>

> [1] http://dev.maxmind.com/geoip/geoip2/geolite2/
> [2] http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#cc-sa
[orcmid]

I think there is a serious problem in the use of CC-SA except perhaps as Category B and with
the media restriction.  It appears to be a perfect example of a weak copyleft.

For the life of me, I don't understand how CC-BY (attribution) is less acceptable than CC-SA
licenses.  CC-SA include the same attribution requirements as CC-BY, but also introduces reciprocity.
 I also suspect the limitation against technology measures is the same in each of them, although
that should be verified.

It appears that these CC-mumbles have not been examined together as a group, and instead were
addressed piece-meal at different times.