www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "John D. Ament"<johndam...@apache.org>
Subject Re: NOTICE and original copyright holders
Date Wed, 27 Jul 2016 00:55:49 GMT

On 2016-07-26 19:26 (-0400), "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:
> > On Jul 26, 2016, at 3:21 PM, John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > All,
> >
> > I'm trying to figure out something that's thrown me off.  In what cases would it
be expected that the NOTICE file includes the original copyright claims after an SGA has been
executed?

> > This is in reference to http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice <http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice>
which includes "The NOTICE file may also include copyright notices moved from source files
submitted to the ASF."

> When the donation is made under condition that some form of copyright notice
> remain in the work, or it is placed there a part of the donation.  Did you follow the
link?

This seems to contradict our SGA, I can't find a reference to retained copyright, which I'm
reading at [1].  I'm only seeing that the copyright is granted to the ASF.

Now, assuming what you're saying is accurate (I'm not saying its not), what happens if the
donator or the PMC fails to add the proper NOTICE when the import is first made? Is it OK
to simply add it at a later point?

[1]: https://www.apache.org/licenses/software-grant.txt