www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: US Army Research Laboratory Open Source License (ARL OSL)
Date Wed, 27 Jul 2016 19:10:06 GMT
On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 11:58 AM, Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US) <
cem.f.karan.civ@mail.mil> wrote:

> The Apache 2.0 license doesn't have that, so what
> happens if the license is found to not cover the uncopyrighted portions?

Severability refers to the portions of a license or contract, not to
portions of the subject matter such as source code.

In any case, those portions that are not subject to copyright are already
in the public domain. That means that there are no restrictions on their
use, including the incorporation into other works that might have a
copyright attached.

As such the disclaimer that was suggested by Roy deals with that situation.
My read on his disclaimer is that it does not need to be incorporated into
the license itself, but can be included in a Notice or similar file to
clarify the origin of the code.

If that is acceptable, then you can accept the Apache License as-is.