www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: US Army Research Laboratory Open Source License (ARL OSL)
Date Fri, 29 Jul 2016 01:13:36 GMT
On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 5:38 PM, Ted Dunning <ted.dunning@gmail.com> wrote:

> It occurs to me (again... you said this already) that your goals are not to
> make your license the same as the Apache License, nor vice versa. Instead,
> the goal is to make sure that your license is in the so-called category A
> licenses for Apache. That is a much easier task and it might well be that
> your proposed form is already there.

But this initiative is really unfortunate because of the damage to the
FOSS ecosystem caused by license proliferation. It would really be in
everyone's interest -- publishers, users, wider industry -- if the
Apache License 2.0 or some other standard, well-known license can be
made to work.

Are the people behind this proposed license acquainted with the
problem of license proliferation, yet still absolutely determined to
proceed? I predict that you will come to regret it.

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/License_proliferation

Marvin Humphrey