www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US)" <cem.f.karan....@mail.mil>
Subject RE: [Non-DoD Source] Re: US Army Research Laboratory Open Source License (ARL OSL)
Date Fri, 29 Jul 2016 18:05:32 GMT

Yes, we're aware of license proliferation.  The problem is that licenses that
use copyright exclusively won't work for the US Government because USG works
don't have copyright within the US.

Believe me, if there was a license that would handle our problems that was
already out there, we'd use it.  We were hoping that NOSA 2.0 would be out and
accepted by the time we got to this part of designing our internal policy; if
it had been, we'd have used it instead.  We're only diving into this because
we don't see any other options that protect everyone's interests (I'm going to
put together a much longer reply to Roy's earlier email that should explain
things more clearly).

Thanks,
Cem Karan