www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US)" <cem.f.karan....@mail.mil>
Subject RE: [Non-DoD Source] Re: US Army Research Laboratory Open Source License (ARL OSL)
Date Thu, 28 Jul 2016 13:31:49 GMT
Ted: my comments are inline below.

Roy: I owe you an email for your earlier email, but I want to work with the
ARL lawyers to make sure I'm getting everything 100% correct.

Correct.  So if a smart lawyer points out that portions of the Apache 2.0
license don't apply, can he or she then argue that none of it applies?

> In any case, those portions that are not subject to copyright are already in
> the public domain. That means that there are no restrictions on
> their use, including the incorporation into other works that might have a
> copyright attached.
>
> As such the disclaimer that was suggested by Roy deals with that situation.
> My read on his disclaimer is that it does not need to be
> incorporated into the license itself, but can be included in a Notice or
> similar file to clarify the origin of the code.
>
> If that is acceptable, then you can accept the Apache License as-is.

I saw Roy's email, and I have what I think are valid reasons for why a simple
disclaimer is not enough.  However, I'm not a lawyer, so I'm running my
thoughts past our legal department so I can get the entire answer 100%
correct.  That particular email is going to be quite lengthy.  I'm hoping the
legal department will answer all my questions by sometime this afternoon, so I
can get a good answer out to everyone.

Thanks,
Cem Karan