www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Does CC-SA3.0 require mention in NOTICE
Date Tue, 26 Jul 2016 22:03:53 GMT
Short Answer: Attribution is required by CC-SA.  And it is unclear why CC-SA is allowed at
all in an ASF project release.

Details:

Share-Alike is equivalent to (at least weak) Copy-Left and I would think that it cannot be
included or depended upon in an Apache project release at all.

In fact, it is peculiar that there is this provision,
<http://apache.org/legal/resolved.html#cc-sa>,

when there is also this indication with regard to Creative Commons Attribution (CC-By) licenses:
<http://apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-b>

There is no CC-SA that is *only* Share-Alike.  The actual license is an Attribution-ShareAlike.
 It is *more* restrictive than CC-By, and CC-SA has attribution requirements.  It is convenient
to refer to it as CC-SA, but the Attribution requirements are there, nonetheless.

The link [1] makes this abundantly clear.

 - Dennis