www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: Resolution on Github Issues
Date Wed, 29 Jun 2016 19:29:41 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote on 6/29/16 1:32 PM:
> Recall that issue trackers have not been, traditionally, held under
> the requirement of being under ASF infra nor infra control. If people
> wish to use external, 3rd party issue/bug trackers, they are taking
> on the risks themselves, as far as SLAs, historical access, etc...

Can we please document the hard functional requirements that either
board, VP Legal, or the IPMC have for such services, so it's a little
clearer to projects what choices are allowable?

Obviously infra only supports specific services on ASF hardware/clouds,
so projects will also have to be aware about maintenance, admin
assistance, etc. for any such non-ASF run services.

- Shane

>> On Jun 27, 2016, at 6:10 AM, Stian Soiland-Reyes <stain@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> I think John is talking about
>> https://github.com/apache/incubator-ponymail/issues used instead of
>> ASF-hosted Jira/Bugzilla - source code is still maintained
>> git.apache.org as the main repository, with just mirroring to GitHub
>> and the usual Pull Request notifications.
>>

>> The GitHub Issues of Ponymail are mirrored to
>> https://lists.apache.org/list.html?dev@ponymail.apache.org  but you
>> would have to use GH infrastructure to manage the issues (e.g.
>> new/assign/close).
>>
>> See legal discussion on
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-249 - the "intention to
>> contribute" should be covered - so legally it's "OK".
>>

>> But then the question is if other ASF projects can also choose to use
>> GitHub Issues for their issue tracking.
>>

>> I think this raises wider questions for policy and community and
>> should be discussed on general@incubator and/or community@apache
>> rather than at legal-discuss.
>>
>> On 26 June 2016 at 19:51, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>>> I am sure Jim can speak for himself, but given the recent discussions I have
been watching Github has not been approved to replace the ASF’s git or svn repositories.

>>> Ralph

using GIthub Issues for projects.  Seeing as how this was a legal approval, I was wondering
what other steps need to be done, if any, to make this open to others.