www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Chris Mattmann <mattm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Resolution on Github Issues
Date Thu, 30 Jun 2016 13:21:07 GMT
One thing I just want to pipe up here and re-iterate. Software
artifacts include more than just code. Having just the code
here as a requirement is incomplete without additional artifacts
including issue trackers, wikis, etc., seems incomplete and also
seems to produce undue burden and potential risk.

Having the ability at a minimum to have an archive copy/hot
backup of issues, wikis, etc., with the provenance of who is doing
what (similar to code) should also be something we consider.

Cheers,
Chris

On 6/29/16, 10:06 PM, "Greg Stein" <gstein@gmail.com> wrote:

>Heck, back in the day, mod_python continued with external mailing lists, even after becoming
part of the HTTPD project. We only ever really cared about the source code being at the ASF.

>(nowadays, it seems we want mail archives here)
>

>On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 12:32 PM, Jim Jagielski
><jim@jagunet.com> wrote:
>
>Recall that issue trackers have not been, traditionally, held under
>the requirement of being under ASF infra nor infra control. If people
>wish to use external, 3rd party issue/bug trackers, they are taking
>on the risks themselves, as far as SLAs, historical access, etc...
>
>> On Jun 27, 2016, at 6:10 AM, Stian Soiland-Reyes <stain@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> I think John is talking about
>>
>https://github.com/apache/incubator-ponymail/issues <https://github.com/apache/incubator-ponymail/issues>
used instead of
>> ASF-hosted Jira/Bugzilla - source code is still maintained
>> git.apache.org <http://git.apache.org> as the main repository, with just mirroring
to GitHub
>> and the usual Pull Request notifications.
>>

>> The GitHub Issues of Ponymail are mirrored to
>>
>https://lists.apache.org/list.html?dev@ponymail.apache.org <https://lists.apache.org/list.html?dev@ponymail.apache.org>
 but you
>> would have to use GH infrastructure to manage the issues (e.g.
>> new/assign/close).
>>
>> See legal discussion on
>>
>https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-249 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-249>
- the "intention to
>> contribute" should be covered - so legally it's "OK".
>>

>> But then the question is if other ASF projects can also choose to use
>> GitHub Issues for their issue tracking.
>>

>> I think this raises wider questions for policy and community and
>> should be discussed on general@incubator and/or community@apache
>> rather than at legal-discuss.
>>
>> On 26 June 2016 at 19:51, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>>> I am sure Jim can speak for himself, but given the recent discussions I have
been watching Github has not been approved to replace the ASF’s git or svn repositories.

>>> Ralph

using GIthub Issues for projects.  Seeing as how this was a legal approval, I was wondering
what other steps need to be done, if any, to make this open to others.