www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Craig Russell <craig.russ...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Dependency on OpenSSL
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2016 23:11:56 GMT
Hi Bill,

> On Jun 6, 2016, at 9:37 AM, William A Rowe Jr <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 6:47 AM, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com <mailto:jim@jagunet.com>>
wrote:
> BSD-4 should be Cat-X *except* for those projects, such as OpenSSL, etc
> that have agreed that NOTICE is sufficient.
>
> So look back to CC-BY Attribution 3.0 license…

clr: I assume you mean CC-SA here

> http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#cc-sa <http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#cc-sa>
> If You Distribute, or Publicly Perform the Work or any Adaptations or Collections, You
must, unless a request has been made pursuant to Section 4(a), keep intact all copyright notices
for the Work and provide, reasonable to the medium or means You are utilizing: (i) the name
of the Original Author (or pseudonym, if applicable) if supplied, and/or if the Original Author
and/or Licensor designate another party or parties (e.g., a sponsor institute, publishing
entity, journal) for attribution ("Attribution Parties") in Licensor's copyright notice, terms
of service or by other reasonable means, the name of such party or parties; (ii) the title
of the Work if supplied; (iii) to the extent reasonably practicable, the URI, if any, that
Licensor specifies to be associated with the Work, unless such URI does not refer to the copyright
notice or licensing information for the Work; and (iv) , consistent with Ssection 3(b), in
the case of an Adaptation, a credit identifying the use of the Work in the Adaptation (e.g.,
"French translation of the Work by Original Author," or "Screenplay based on original Work
by Original Author"). The credit required by this Section 4(c) may be implemented in any reasonable
manner; provided, however, that in the case of a Adaptation or Collection, at a minimum such
credit will appear, if a credit for all contributing authors of the Adaptation or Collection
appears, then as part of these credits and in a manner at least as prominent as the credits
for the other contributing authors. For the avoidance of doubt, You may only use the credit
required by this Section for the purpose of attribution in the manner set out above and, by
exercising Your rights under this License, You may not implicitly or explicitly assert or
imply any connection with, sponsorship or endorsement by the Original Author, Licensor and/or
Attribution Parties, as appropriate, of You or Your use of the Work, without the separate,
express prior written permission of the Original Author, Licensor and/or Attribution Parties.
> I don't read that NOTICE alone can satisfy this requirement,

clr: I do read it that having an Apache NOTICE satisfies the requirement (assuming that the
copyright notices are also available)

> it is yet another
> Advertising clause by another name.  E.g. if a project ships "Ray's Magnificent
> Random Number Generator" (RMRNG), and it was licensed as CREATIVE
> COMMONS ATTRIBUTION-SHARE ALIKE WORKS- then it isn't enough to

> simply credit the author, but that the name of the original work and attribution
> of the author must sit alongside other titles and credits, including in some
> cases, the actual name of the ASF project, right?

clr: The first line in the NOTICE file is attribution to the Apache project. Subsequent lines
in the NOTICE file that reference the CC-BY work are “at least as prominent”.

clr: There is no "advertising clause" as I understand the phrase is used. NOTICE and Advertising
are two separate concepts.

> If we are going to adopt the policy cited above on all but explicitly exempted
> BSD-4 dependencies, it would seem this license needs to follow the same
> policy, for the very same reasons?

Craig

Craig L Russell
Secretary, Apache Software Foundation