www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "P. Taylor Goetz" <ptgo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Amazon Software License compatibility
Date Mon, 20 Jun 2016 20:08:18 GMT
Thanks Ted.

I think we can easily make the case that it is optional in terms of both (a) AND (b). What
I’d like to know is the exact mechanics of doing so without creating a licensing issue for
the product as a whole.

> a) Can the overall product be run without including or loading the module at all? (i.e.
is there some dynamic linkage going on?)

In this sense the module is optional, and not required at all to use the overall product.
To use the module, a user would have to explicitly add the module as a dependency in their
Maven pom, or add it to the classpath.

(For more context, the module is an Apache Storm spout that reads data from Amazon Kinesis.
To use it, users would have to add it as a dependency to their topology code.)

> b) can the module in question be released and downloaded separately from any binary convenience
artifacts for the main product?

We can certainly keep it separate, and exclude it from the main build and release artifacts.
Actually users almost have to separately download (via Maven) such modules in order to use
them (and we could enforce that for this module by not including it in convenience binaries).

In terms of a source-only release, would we need to make sure the module is not included in
the main build unless explicitly enabled by the user building the code? Can we even include
the module source code in an Apache release?

Would we be able to publish the module jar file to repository.apache.org <http://repository.apache.org/>?

-Taylor

> On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 11:59 AM, P. Taylor Goetz <ptgoetz@gmail.com <mailto:ptgoetz@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> Yes, in this context ASL==Amazon Software License, which appears to be Category X.
>

>> On Jun 20, 2016, at 2:53 PM, Ted Dunning <ted.dunning@gmail.com <mailto:ted.dunning@gmail.com>>
wrote:

>> This is a little confusing. I think it may be a reader problem (i.e. me)
>>
>> In (3), how is the code in the module licensed if not ASL?  Are you actually saying
that the module has no *external* ASL code?

>> Also, if the Kinesis client is ASL licensed, where is the problem in any case?
>>
>> Or perhaps does ASL != Apache Software License (perhaps Amazon Software License)?
>>

>> On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 9:47 AM, P. Taylor Goetz <ptgoetz@gmail.com <mailto:ptgoetz@gmail.com>>
wrote:
>> I have a question similar to the one described in LEGAL-198 [1], but based on that
discussion I’m not really clear on how to handle an Amazon Software License dependency.

>> Here’s the scenario:
>>
>> 1. We have an optional component that is not required for the project software to
function.
>> 2. The component provides integration with AWS, and so depends on ASL-licensed client
library (Kinesis client in this case).
>> 3. The module does not contain any ASL-licensed code. The ASL-licensed component
is strictly a runtime dependency for the module.

>> The questions I have that LEGAL-198 doesn’t seem clear on are:
>>
>> 1. Can the source code for this module be included in an Apache source release?
>> 2. Can a binary of this module be pushed to repository.apache.org <http://repository.apache.org/>
for consumption by Maven users?