www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Request for clarification of Release Policy regarding external jar files
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2016 14:57:44 GMT
Hi Sharan,

Maybe I'm misinterpreting your last sentence, but while I guess it is true that the convenience
binary doesn't have to go through the same process in that the VOTE doesn't have to occur,
but because of statements in the release policy like: "In all such cases, the binary/bytecode
package must have the same version number as the source release and may only add binary/bytecode
files that are the result of compiling that version of the source code release", it means
to me that the convenience binary is a follow-on action (by individuals) from a source release.
 So, whatever sources an individual uses to generate the binary release must have first been
approved as a source release via the usual process.  I don't know that a PMC can enforce those
rules on a third-party or the RM, but I think the PMC is supposed to try to make sure that
approved source releases are available for binary release providers.

IOW, a vote and vetting of a source package had to occur at some point before the binary release
is produced from it, and in the vetting of the source package, checking of LICENSE and NOTICE
for the binary release generally occur since they can be different from the source release.

-Alex

From: Sharan F <sharan@apache.org<mailto:sharan@apache.org>>
Date: Tuesday, June 14, 2016 at 12:26 AM
To: Jim Jagielski <jim@jaguNET.com<mailto:jim@jaguNET.com>>, "legal-discuss@apache.org<mailto:legal-discuss@apache.org>"
<legal-discuss@apache.org<mailto:legal-discuss@apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Request for clarification of Release Policy regarding external jar files

Hi Jim

We thought that we understood it but Marvin's response shows otherwise.

I don't think we were far off, essentially the main difference being that we thought that
a compiled binary of a release with its dependencies was also a release (since it has to have
the same version number as the release). The confusion I think might have been caused by the
definition of what is release.

“Releases are, by definition, anything that is published beyond the group that owns it.
In our case, that means any publication outside the group of people on the product dev list.”

so it looked to us like we could also publish optional “binary releases”, whereas Marvin
talks about the release process and the strict governance associated with that, and a convenience
binary (binary release) doesn't have to go through that same process.

Thanks
Sharan