www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Request for clarification of Release Policy regarding external jar files
Date Fri, 10 Jun 2016 16:23:31 GMT

On 6/10/16, 7:04 AM, "Marvin Humphrey" <marvin@rectangular.com> wrote:

>> "source releases" do not contain binaries
>
>Yes.

Where binaries == compiled source.  AIUI, you can have other "binaries"
like images and fonts in the source package.  IIRC, bundling compressed
sources is discouraged as well.

>> projects may also publish "binary releases"
>
>This is not accurate.  Third parties (most often the release manager) may
>provide compiled packages.  The colloquialism typically used to refer to
>these
>packages is "convenience binaries".
>
>The Foundation does not endorse binary packages because such packages are
>opaque and cannot be audited by a PMC.

All true, but AIUI, if the 3rd party is a release manager, the RM is
allowed to distribute those binary packages from Apache servers.

I'm curious as to what scenario Sharan is dealing with.

-Alex