www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
Subject Re: BSD 4 clause as a Category A license?
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2016 12:50:52 GMT
No, BSD-4 is not compatible. The advertising clause is too broad to
count as an approved open source license, e.g. an entry in our
distribution's NOTICE is not sufficient to comply.

Anyone should be able to use Apache Trafodion and advertise their
final product (e.g. EsgynDB) as they please, as long as they respect
Apache trademarks and follow the ASF license in their distribution.
(e.g. propagate LICENSE and NOTICE).

We have special permission for OpenSSL as the Open SSL authors have
given us written permission that such a NOTICE is sufficient - but I
am not aware of such a permission from The Regents of the University
of California

That said, I think the license of BSD has retrospectively been changed
to the compatible 3-clause - but I would need to look of the details.
See for instance:
http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/lib/libc/stdio/vfprintf.c?rev=1.45&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

On 16 June 2016 at 13:21, John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if BSD 4 clause counts as a Category A license as defined here: http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-a
>
> Apache Trafodion (incubating) leverages code licensed this way: https://github.com/apache/incubator-trafodion/blob/master/core/sql/common/swsprintf.cpp#L3
>
> If it is permissive to use, is it required to be published in a NOTICE or DISCLAIMER
file?

> John

Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718