www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Resolution on Github Issues
Date Mon, 27 Jun 2016 10:10:22 GMT
I think John is talking about
https://github.com/apache/incubator-ponymail/issues used instead of
ASF-hosted Jira/Bugzilla - source code is still maintained
git.apache.org as the main repository, with just mirroring to GitHub
and the usual Pull Request notifications.

The GitHub Issues of Ponymail are mirrored to
https://lists.apache.org/list.html?dev@ponymail.apache.org  but you
would have to use GH infrastructure to manage the issues (e.g.
new/assign/close).

See legal discussion on
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-249 - the "intention to
contribute" should be covered - so legally it's "OK".

But then the question is if other ASF projects can also choose to use
GitHub Issues for their issue tracking.

I think this raises wider questions for policy and community and
should be discussed on general@incubator and/or community@apache
rather than at legal-discuss.

On 26 June 2016 at 19:51, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> I am sure Jim can speak for himself, but given the recent discussions I have been watching
Github has not been approved to replace the ASF’s git or svn repositories.

> Ralph
>
>> On Jun 25, 2016, at 4:27 AM, John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> All,
>>
>> In talking with the PonyMail podling, I was informed that VP Legal approved using
GIthub Issues for projects.  Seeing as how this was a legal approval, I was wondering what
other steps need to be done, if any, to make this open to others.

>> John

Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718