www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: on clear intent sufficient to accept contributions
Date Thu, 30 Jun 2016 04:18:22 GMT
On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 8:52 AM, Stian Soiland-Reyes <stain@apache.org>
wrote:

> On 29 June 2016 at 16:32, Ted Dunning <ted.dunning@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > As a practical matter, I think that you should use some judgement about
> how significant the pull request is.  If it is large enough or clever
> enough to be hard to replicate you should probably ask for a more formal
> record of agreement to the license.
>
> Agree on "large" or "clever" being triggers.
>
> Also an ICLA is good to clarify if it could be unclear if the
> contribution is the sole work of the contributor (and that she has the
> right to contribute it) or is code imported from "somewhere" (e.g.
> obvious code style differences).
>
> With a signed ICLA/CCLA we have the legal backing that the named
> contributor claimed to have the rights to contribute under the Apache
> License - a semi-anonymous GitHub user "coder42" is a bit more dubious
> if questions are later raised about Intellectual Property rights.
>
> So as a rough guide, a typical small patch/pull request is easy,
> someone adding a couple of brand new classes/files should raise
> warning signs and new modules/folders should be require ICLA. If the
> code looks like a mixed ragbag, ask for further provenance, an ICLA
> and code style cleanup :).

Noting, as it relates to the subject, clause 5 of Apache License 2.0:

*5. Submission of Contributions*. Unless You explicitly state otherwise,
any Contribution intentionally submitted for inclusion in the Work by You
to the Licensor shall be under the terms and conditions of this License,
without any additional terms or conditions. Notwithstanding the above,
nothing herein shall supersede or modify the terms of any separate license
agreement you may have executed with Licensor regarding such Contributions.

Hen