www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Amazon Software License compatibility
Date Mon, 20 Jun 2016 19:10:59 GMT
a) Can the overall product be run without including or loading the module
at all? (i.e. is there some dynamic linkage going on?)

b) can the module in question be released and downloaded separately from
any binary convenience artifacts for the main product?

If (a) AND (b), then this is a very obviously optional module.

If (a) AND NOT (b), the module is less obviously optional, but presumably
you can remove the module in question. The "optional" becomes a form of
opt-out rather than the more desirable opt-in, but a case could still be
made that they module is optional.