www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Amazon Software License compatibility
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2016 02:43:03 GMT
On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 9:14 PM, Ted Dunning <ted.dunning@gmail.com> wrote:

> All well and good to say that there is no Apache Software License, but
> common usage is to use ASL to refer to the Apache License.
>
> Decoding common usage was what I was doing here.
>
> See for instance the first parenthetical on the Wikipedia page:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_License

Indeed.  That's an error, with respect to the current and defacto v 2.0.

"The Apache Software License, Version 1.1" is what misleads authors (which
we need to disabuse, now that 1.1 is hardly common anymore). This should
be corrected whenever we trip over it.

"Apache License, Version 2.0" deliberately omitted the term "Software" to be
more generally applicable to other works.

If you see "ASL" please, gently correct the author/page, rather than letting
the mis-abbreviation persist (especially in light of other, actually
abbrievated
"ASL" licenses).