www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Dependency on OpenSSL
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2016 22:14:08 GMT
All Advertising clauses are odious... that's why the OSS development world
went from copying them word for word to building new licensed that forgo
such a stupid requirement.

Unlike copy left, for example, the combined work is still able to be
applied in any scenario the developer wishes, which is the ASF's definition
of freedom. We never suggested the user has the freedom from observing all
applicable license terms, our own included. So this is obviously (to most
of us here) not category X.

You raise good questions but I hope you know the answer to 1) below, if
you've survived this long at this forum.

Question 3) is legitimate (there is no AL 1, but there are AL 1.0 and 1.1
which should both be clarified.)

Question 2) is more complex and well worth raising.  Where the ASF does not
ship a binary of OpenSSL, e.g. SVN project or APR project, it doesn't fall
on us to observe the license terms of something we don't distribute.

Where projects do choose to ship the binaries from ASF projects with
OpenSSL, it is clearly a more complex issue and guidance from ASF Legal
would certainly be appropriate.