www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Dependency on OpenSSL
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2016 16:37:37 GMT
On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 6:47 AM, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:

> BSD-4 should be Cat-X *except* for those projects, such as OpenSSL, etc
> that have agreed that NOTICE is sufficient.

So look back to CC-BY Attribution 3.0 license...

http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#cc-sa

   1. If You Distribute, or Publicly Perform the Work or any Adaptations or
   Collections, You must, unless a request has been made pursuant to Section
   4(a), keep intact all copyright notices for the Work and provide,
   reasonable to the medium or means You are utilizing: (i) the name of the
   Original Author (or pseudonym, if applicable) if supplied, and/or if the
   Original Author and/or Licensor designate another party or parties (e.g., a
   sponsor institute, publishing entity, journal) for attribution
   ("Attribution Parties") in Licensor's copyright notice, terms of service or
   by other reasonable means, the name of such party or parties; (ii) the
   title of the Work if supplied; (iii) to the extent reasonably practicable,
   the URI, if any, that Licensor specifies to be associated with the Work,
   unless such URI does not refer to the copyright notice or licensing
   information for the Work; and (iv) , consistent with Ssection 3(b), in the
   case of an Adaptation, a credit identifying the use of the Work in the
   Adaptation (e.g., "French translation of the Work by Original Author," or
   "Screenplay based on original Work by Original Author"). The credit
   required by this Section 4(c) may be implemented in any reasonable manner;
   provided, however, that in the case of a Adaptation or Collection, at a
   minimum such credit will appear, if a credit for all contributing authors
   of the Adaptation or Collection appears, then as part of these credits and
   in a manner at least as prominent as the credits for the other contributing
   authors. For the avoidance of doubt, You may only use the credit required
   by this Section for the purpose of attribution in the manner set out above
   and, by exercising Your rights under this License, You may not implicitly
   or explicitly assert or imply any connection with, sponsorship or
   endorsement by the Original Author, Licensor and/or Attribution Parties, as
   appropriate, of You or Your use of the Work, without the separate, express
   prior written permission of the Original Author, Licensor and/or
   Attribution Parties.

I don't read that NOTICE alone can satisfy this requirement, it is yet
another
Advertising clause by another name.  E.g. if a project ships "Ray's
Magnificent
Random Number Generator" (RMRNG), and it was licensed as CREATIVE
COMMONS ATTRIBUTION-SHARE ALIKE WORKS - then it isn't enough to
simply credit the author, but that the name of the original work and
attribution
of the author must sit alongside other titles and credits, including in some
cases, the actual name of the ASF project, right?

If we are going to adopt the policy cited above on all but explicitly
exempted
BSD-4 dependencies, it would seem this license needs to follow the same
policy, for the very same reasons?