www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Steve Varnau <steve.var...@esgyn.com>
Subject Dependency on OpenSSL
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2016 18:13:12 GMT
Hello,

Per Justin's suggestion (below) I wanted to ask whether it is okay for our
project to have a dependency on OpenSSL.
OpenSSL is working on changing licensing[1], but is currently seems to be
Category X.

By dynamically linking with OpenSSL libraries, we will not bundle it with
our convenience binaries.
I see from the export page[2] that several other projects also use
OpenSSL, but some of those usages seem to be optional.
Can we dynamically link to and thereby depend on OpenSSL, or do we need to
somehow make this optional?

Thanks,
--Steve

[1] https://www.openssl.org/blog/blog/2015/08/01/cla/
[2] http://www.apache.org/licenses/exports/

-----Original Message-----
From: Justin Mclean [mailto:justin@classsoftware.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 1, 2016 4:39 PM
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Trafodion 2.0.0 (incubating)

Hi,

> Looking at the openssl issue, I want to figure out why we are statically
> linking the libraries.  If there is a key reason it needs to be static
> rather than dynamically linked, then I'll want to go to legal-discuss
and
> ask whether we can distribute it, given license changes in the works.

Given the 4 clause BSD license is most likely category X I think the only
way you can have it as a dependancy is if it is an optional one. [1]
Dynamically linking it would be one way of doing that. (But INAL so again
it may be good to check on legal discuss.)

> the expedient thing is to go ahead with this release, minus the client
binary.

That works for me and you have my +1 for that.

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#optional