www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "P. Taylor Goetz" <ptgo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Amazon Software License compatibility
Date Mon, 20 Jun 2016 18:59:17 GMT
Yes, in this context ASL==Amazon Software License, which appears to be Category X.

> On Jun 20, 2016, at 2:53 PM, Ted Dunning <ted.dunning@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> This is a little confusing. I think it may be a reader problem (i.e. me)
>
> In (3), how is the code in the module licensed if not ASL?  Are you actually saying that
the module has no *external* ASL code?

> Also, if the Kinesis client is ASL licensed, where is the problem in any case?
>
> Or perhaps does ASL != Apache Software License (perhaps Amazon Software License)?
>

> On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 9:47 AM, P. Taylor Goetz <ptgoetz@gmail.com <mailto:ptgoetz@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> I have a question similar to the one described in LEGAL-198 [1], but based on that discussion
I’m not really clear on how to handle an Amazon Software License dependency.

> Here’s the scenario:
>
> 1. We have an optional component that is not required for the project software to function.
> 2. The component provides integration with AWS, and so depends on ASL-licensed client
library (Kinesis client in this case).
> 3. The module does not contain any ASL-licensed code. The ASL-licensed component is strictly
a runtime dependency for the module.

> The questions I have that LEGAL-198 doesn’t seem clear on are:
>
> 1. Can the source code for this module be included in an Apache source release?
> 2. Can a binary of this module be pushed to repository.apache.org <http://repository.apache.org/>
for consumption by Maven users?