www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Sharan F <sha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Request for clarification of Release Policy regarding external jar files
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2016 07:26:15 GMT
Hi Jim

We thought that we understood it but Marvin's response shows otherwise.

I don't think we were far off, essentially the main difference being
that we thought that a compiled binary of a release with its
dependencies was also a release (since it has to have the same version
number as the release). The confusion I think might have been caused by
the definition of what is release.

“Releases are, by definition, anything that is published beyond the
group that owns it. In our case, that means any publication outside the
group of people on the product dev list.”

so it looked to us like we could also publish optional “binary
releases”, whereas Marvin talks about the release process and the strict
governance associated with that, and a convenience binary (binary
release) doesn't have to go through that same process.

Thanks
Sharan

On 13/06/16 18:43, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> What parts of:
>
> 	 http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy
>
> require clarification?
>
>> On Jun 10, 2016, at 8:33 AM, Sharan F <sharan@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>> We need some confirmation regarding what is included in an Apache release. Essentially
we want clarification of what the policy is with regard to dependencies such as external jar
files.
>> In the the Guide to Release Management During Incubation (DRAFT) http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#check-list
under section 3.6 in the 'Release Check List' it says:

>> "3.6 Release consists of source code only, no binaries. Each Apache release must
contain a source package. This package may not contain compiled components (such as "jar"
files) because compiled components are not open source, even if they were built from open
source."

>> On the Release Creation Process page http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html#valid
under the 'What is a Valid Release Package' section it says:
>> "... the fundamental requirement for a release is that it consist of the necessary
source code to build the project. Optionally, a release may also be accompanied by compiled
binaries for the convenience of users."
>> Based on these statements our understanding is that:
>> 	• projects must publish "source releases"
>> 	• "source releases" do not contain binaries
>> 	• projects may also publish "binary releases"
>> 	• "binary releases" can contain binaries compiled from source code created by
the project or binaries from external projects