www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Sharan F <sha...@apache.org>
Subject Request for clarification of Release Policy regarding external jar files
Date Fri, 10 Jun 2016 12:33:34 GMT
Hi

We need some confirmation regarding what is included in an Apache
release. Essentially we want clarification of what the policy is with
regard to dependencies such as external jar files.

In the the Guide to Release Management During Incubation (DRAFT)
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#check-list
under section 3.6 in the 'Release Check List' it says:

/"*3.6 Release consists of source code only, no binaries.*/*//**/Each
Apache release must contain a source package
<http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html#valid>. This package
may not contain compiled components (such as "jar" files) because
compiled components are not open source, even if they were built from
open source."/*

On the Release Creation Process page
http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html#valid under the 'What
is a Valid Release Package' section it says:

    /*"... the fundamental requirement for a release is that it consist
    of the necessary source code to build the project. Optionally, a
    release may also be accompanied by compiled binaries for the
    convenience of users."*/

Based on these statements our understanding is that:

  * projects must publish "source releases"
  * "source releases" do not contain binaries
  * projects may also publish "binary releases"
  * "binary releases" can contain binaries compiled from source code
    created by the project or binaries from external projects

Please can you confirm that our understanding of the policy is correct
(or not).

Thanks
Sharan