www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Request for clarification of Release Policy regarding external jar files
Date Mon, 13 Jun 2016 16:43:45 GMT
What parts of:

	 http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy

require clarification?

> On Jun 10, 2016, at 8:33 AM, Sharan F <sharan@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi
> We need some confirmation regarding what is included in an Apache release. Essentially
we want clarification of what the policy is with regard to dependencies such as external jar
files.
> In the the Guide to Release Management During Incubation (DRAFT) http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#check-list
under section 3.6 in the 'Release Check List' it says:

> "3.6 Release consists of source code only, no binaries. Each Apache release must contain
a source package. This package may not contain compiled components (such as "jar" files) because
compiled components are not open source, even if they were built from open source."

> On the Release Creation Process page http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html#valid
under the 'What is a Valid Release Package' section it says:
> "... the fundamental requirement for a release is that it consist of the necessary source
code to build the project. Optionally, a release may also be accompanied by compiled binaries
for the convenience of users."
> Based on these statements our understanding is that:
> 	• projects must publish "source releases"
> 	• "source releases" do not contain binaries
> 	• projects may also publish "binary releases"
> 	• "binary releases" can contain binaries compiled from source code created by the
project or binaries from external projects