www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "P. Taylor Goetz" <ptgo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Amazon Software License compatibility
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2016 17:20:52 GMT
Hi Alex,

In Apache Storm we have a number of components that users can use to do things like read from
Apache Kafka, write to Apache HBase, etc. I’ll call them “connectors.” Connectors are
optional and are not required to run Apache Storm.

When users create an application to run on a Storm cluster, they bundle all their dependencies,
including any connectors they are using, into a single fat jar file and upload it to the cluster
to run.

We have a contributor who has written a connector for Amazon Kinesis, and the Kinesis client
library required by that code is licensed with the Amazon Software License [1].

As I mentioned earlier, connectors are completely optional (optional facet #1). To use the
Kinesis spout, however, users must bundle the Kinesis client library in their application
jar file, so in this sense the Cat-X dependency is not optional (optional facet #2).

The Kinesis connector would not require us to include any source code in our repository that
is licensed under the Amazon Software License. The Kinesis client library is purely a dependency.

I guess the question becomes, would we be able to license the Kinesis connector code under
the ALv2 given the terms of the Amazon Software License [1]?

-Taylor

[1] https://aws.amazon.com/asl/

>>> 2. http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#prohibited