www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: Amazon Software License compatibility
Date Wed, 22 Jun 2016 13:49:35 GMT
P. Taylor Goetz wrote on 6/21/16 12:15 AM:
...snip...
> I'm not opposed to tangential threads, but hope a side thread won't
> derail the original subject... ;)
>
> Probably worthy of a separate thread, but:
>
> I've always followed what seems to be a convention of abbreviating the
> Apache License as ASLvx.x (e.g "ASLv2", "ASLv1.1"). The emergence of the
> acronym "ASL" to refer to the Amazon Software License (I plead guilty :)
> ) has the potential to create confusion confusion
>
> Would it be worth documenting best practices wrt referring to the Apache
> License in an abbreviated form?

Thanks for the gentle nudge and useful thread, P.!

The most widely "canonical" viewed license abbreviation list is the SPDX
one, which uses Apache-2.0:

  http://spdx.org/licenses/

Most people  I've seen building tooling to check licenses use SPDX.  Our
own docs use ALv2, but that can too easily be confused with Amazon or
Apple licenses.

- Shane