www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Dependency on OpenSSL
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2016 05:15:04 GMT
Hi,

> Interestingly, while we seem to be discussing BSD 4-clause, I discovered
> that, according to Wikipedia [1], OpenSSL is under Apache 1.0, not BSD
> 4-clause, and when comparing OpenSSL's license [2] against this copy of
> Apache 1.0 [3], I'd have to agree.

I believe it’s actually both if you look at [1] you see that some of it is licensed under
Apache 1.0 (or similar), but the original SSLeay code is under a 4 clause BSD.

Both Apache 1.0 and 4 clause BSD license contain the troublesome advising clause.

> Even more interestingly, Apache 1.0 doesn't seem to be listed in [4] under
> Category A, B, or X either.  Is there some past ruling about Apache 1.0?

This has been discussed before but no clear answer was given other than both are probably
category X. See [2][3] and also [4]. I also noted this as as issue a little while back [5].

BTW There is one Apache project that looks like it contains code licensed under Apache 1.0.
And yep you guessed it, it’s Apache Flex. [6] It contains code from an old version of the
Apache Velocity project (2007 or so?).

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://github.com/openssl/openssl/blob/master/LICENSE