www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Generation of X licensed dependent code
Date Fri, 10 Jun 2016 05:21:30 GMT
Hi,

> What is reasonable notification to the user that there will be encumbrance?
> I have thought of a couple of not mutually exclusive choices;
>  1. NOTICE and LICENSE file generation into the project stating this.
>  2. Documentation of the template.
>  3. Warning text when the template is invoked.
>  4. Requiring user to actively answer "Yes" on the command line that the user is aware
of the result.

INAL but IMO 1,3,4 in the above not required but it would be nice to inform the user (i.e.
2) and in this is it probably up the PMC to decide the best way to do that.

My reasoning is that:
- LICENSE and NOTICE only contain information about what is bundled [1] not dependancies.
- The Category X dependancy is entirely optional [2]

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#guiding-principle
2. http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#optional