www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "P. Taylor Goetz" <ptgo...@gmail.com>
Subject Amazon Software License compatibility
Date Mon, 20 Jun 2016 16:47:12 GMT
I have a question similar to the one described in LEGAL-198 [1], but based on that discussion
I’m not really clear on how to handle an Amazon Software License dependency.

Here’s the scenario:

1. We have an optional component that is not required for the project software to function.
2. The component provides integration with AWS, and so depends on ASL-licensed client library
(Kinesis client in this case).
3. The module does not contain any ASL-licensed code. The ASL-licensed component is strictly
a runtime dependency for the module.

The questions I have that LEGAL-198 doesn’t seem clear on are:

1. Can the source code for this module be included in an Apache source release?
2. Can a binary of this module be pushed to repository.apache.org <http://repository.apache.org/>
for consumption by Maven users?
3. How do we make such a module truly “optional” from a licensing standpoint?

Thanks in advance.

-Taylor

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-198