www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jack Walker <jackwalker0...@gmail.com>
Subject Using a font licensed under Apache License, version 2.0 in commercial vector artworks
Date Fri, 06 May 2016 12:01:40 GMT
Hi,
Sorry for bothering you, but I'm a bit confused about font licensing.
I'd like to know if I can use a font licensed under Apache License, version
2.0
(for example, Open Sans by Steve Matteson) for my purposes.
I want to use it for my vector illustrations that I intend to sell and get
royalty for them.

The font will be the part of my illustrations and used as titles (Sample
Text, Lorem ipsum, etc.),
paragraphs, etc. The font will be outlined, i.e. I will only use it as
outlined vector graphic
(font will be converted to curves) inside my illustrations.

Also, as I'm selling only eps and jpg files, I have no option to include
any txt files,
any license files along with my product -  and that's the main question as
I know that attribution is required:
Can I write the text on my vector artworks using the font licensed under
Apache License, version 2.0 that will be outlined (i.e. converted to vector
too) and sell my artworks without any link, any mentioning of the fact that
I'm using the font licensed under Apache License, version 2.0?
Is it legal?

I've read Apache License, version 2.0, I've checked the whole
http://mail-archives.apache.org/ page, but I haven't found a proper answer
for my specific question.
Hope you can help me.

Thank you so much for your time!