www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Chen, Haifeng" <haifeng.c...@intel.com>
Subject Help on Legal with US Export classification & ECCN registration for Commons Crypto
Date Mon, 09 May 2016 08:46:08 GMT
Dear sir,
Commons Crypto is a new module in Apache Commons and we are preparing a the first release.

Stian has pointed out there may be needed to do US Export classification & ECCN registration
[1]. I checked http://www.apache.org/dev/crypto.html page but not sure about what steps we
need to do before we release Apache Commons Crypto so that it can comply the legal requirements.
Would you please help analyze this situation and indicate the steps?

Apache Commons Crypto is a library providing symmetric encryption and decryption for AES by
wrapping Java JCE Cipher or OpenSSL API. Namely, it doesn't implement the algorithm directly,
but provide intermediate helper classes to use JCE Cipher or OpenSSL. It will NOT include
either Java or OpenSSL binaries as part of this library's binary.

[1] http://markmail.org/message/4at6msgqdxq4g4h6

[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CRYPTO-54

Regards,
Haifeng