www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Requirements for PMC testing a library release candidate only usable from a Maven repository
Date Sun, 17 Apr 2016 14:10:31 GMT
On 17/04/2016 12:56, Carl Marcum wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> My question is about this text on release approval:
> "PMC members are required to download the signed source code package,
> compile it as provided, and test the resulting executable on their own
> platform" found here [1] and if it also applies to libraries that need
> to be downloaded from Maven.
>
> Background:
> The library is an Apache Groovy API extension that adds convenience
> methods to the Java UNO jars also on the classpath for use in Apache
> OpenOffice automation using Groovy.
>
> The artifacts are an Apache Maven bundle (pom, compiled classes, source,
> javadoc jars, signatures, hashes, etc.) to be made available from Maven
> repositories.
>
> The release candidate was built from a release branch in SVN and staged
> in Apache Nexus.
>
> The library functions properly when downloaded at runtime (if not
> already) along with the jar files it works with to a local Apache Ivy
> cache where the Groovy script finds and adds them to the classpath.
> This is accomplished with the Groovy @Grab annotation in a script.
>
> Question:
> Is it permissible that the functional test of the library use the
> artifact that is staged in Nexus instead of the one created by the
> building test of the signed sources on the PMC testers machine?
>
> [1] http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#approving-a-release

If you can confirm that the library downloaded is identical to the one
you built locally, then yes. But, knowing Java, I doubt that is the
case. There are too many timestamps embedded in a JAR to make that
practical.

Personally, I'd test the downloaded version (since that is the
convenience binary that is going to be released) and then replace the
downloaded copy with my locally built version and re-test.

Mark