www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Adding non-ASF licensing headers to an Incubating project code base
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2016 18:47:04 GMT
My "algorithm" would be:

If all lines in the file are covered by CLA/SGA then add ASF header
Else if some lines in the file are covered by CLA/SGA then add ASF header and a note that
some lines are not under ALv2.
Else If no lines are covered by CLA/SGA:
   If you have reason to believe the contributor expected the file to be part of a BSD package,
add BSD header
   Else add a note that licensing is unknown and try to replace that file before graduation.

My 2 cents,
-Alex

From: Henri Yandell <bayard@apache.org<mailto:bayard@apache.org>>
Date: Wednesday, March 2, 2016 at 9:55 AM
To: ASF Legal Discuss <legal-discuss@apache.org<mailto:legal-discuss@apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Adding non-ASF licensing headers to an Incubating project code base

Bear in mind that the current code doesn't have a header; the situation here is to find a
way to add a header so the licensing is clear. Once we add them, they shouldn't be moved per
your comment, Alex.

Re: Justin's 'major changes happen' - it's for when a copyrightable change happens (authored
by one of our committers). So more 'anything other than trivial' rather than 'major'.

Hen

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 8:08 AM, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com<mailto:aharui@adobe.com>>