www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Adding non-ASF licensing headers to an Incubating project code base
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2016 16:08:32 GMT
Interesting case.  I thought if you don't have a ICLA or SGA for some lines of code in a file,
you can't touch its header.  So I suppose you could copy the BSD copyright lines to NOTICE,
but you'd have to leave them in the source file until you get permission from the owner to
move it.

-Alex

From: Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com<mailto:justin@classsoftware.com>>
Date: Wednesday, March 2, 2016 at 3:44 AM
To: "legal-discuss@apache.org<mailto:legal-discuss@apache.org>" <legal-discuss@apache.org<mailto:legal-discuss@apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Adding non-ASF licensing headers to an Incubating project code base

Hi,

Just twigged what you meant. Sorry for slowness :)

No my fault sorry,  I could of worded that in a clearer way.

The other question is when to add the Apache source header. Assuming we have CLAs that cover
enough of the project to affect every file

My impression is that that’s not the case, (i.e. not all contributors to the original project
have signed CLA and that why the code is still BSD licensed) but I can’t speak for the project
and don’t know the full details.

then either a) the project could add the Apache header as and when they modify those files

My understanding (also possibly mistaken) is that only occurs when major changes happen, and
even then you probably need to add the original copyright to NOTICE?

Thanks,
Justin