www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Adding non-ASF licensing headers to an Incubating project code base
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2016 03:02:27 GMT
On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 6:40 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <roman@shaposhnik.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> during the review of Apache MADlib (incubating) release
>> an issue came up that I'd like to ask for legal-discuss
>> opinion on.
>>
>> The issue has to do with the bulk of MADlib code base
>> licensed under the 2-clause BSD license but individual
>> files lacking explicit license headers. E.g.:
>>
>> https://github.com/madlib/madlib/blob/placeholder/src/modules/linalg/average.cpp
>>
>> Given that the project had multiple contributors I felt
>> like ASF MADlib community turning around and
>> unilaterally adding BSD license headers might not be
>> acceptable. However, some of the IPMC members feel
>> that adding something minimal E.g.:
>>
>>  /* This file is available under a BSD-2-clause license -- see LICENSE */
>>
>> is desirable.
>>
>> Thoughts on how to proceed?

Looking at the history of the project, I realize the BSD license text in
the project prior to an Apache license being placed there, was BSD 3-clause
with an explicit copyright statement.

https://github.com/madlib/madlib/commits/placeholder/LICENSE

---

Copyright (c) 2010, 2011, Regents of the University of California
All rights reserved.

modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

*   Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice,
this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

*   Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

*   Neither the name of the project nor the names of its contributors may
be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without
specific prior written permission.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS"
AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE
LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR
CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF
SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS
INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN
CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE)
ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE
POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

Hen