www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Adding non-ASF licensing headers to an Incubating project code base
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2016 23:10:20 GMT
On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 3:05 PM, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:

> > On Mar 2, 2016, at 11:29 AM, Henri Yandell <bayard@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > Adjusting:
> >
> >   If all lines in the file are covered by CLA/SGA then add ASF header
> >   Else if some lines in the file are covered by CLA/SGA then add ASF
> header (plus the below).
> >
> >   If some (or all) lines in a file are _NOT_ covered by CLA/SGA:
> >      If you have reason to believe the contributor expected the file to
> be part of a BSD package, add BSD header
> >      Else add a note that licensing is unknown and try to replace that
> file (or those lines) before graduation.
>
> No.  Add an ASF header if we manage the code because it satisfies the BSD
> conditions and satisfies
> our conditions, regardless of the existence of any other licensing
> statements within a file.
> There is no requirement to ADD a BSD header, anywhere.
>
> If a BSD header already exists, don't remove it unless all of the
> COPYRIGHT OWNERS of
> that specific file's contents agree (NOT all contributors); make it
> subsidiary to the ASF header
> and clear that BSD applies only to the original code.
>
> Under no circumstances do we add a BSD header that doesn't already exist.
> Adding BSD to an
> overall LICENSE or README file is fine; we are under no obligation to
> create notices that
> did not already exist, nor is it reasonable to assume the original
> developers wanted them.

So you would be happy providing source files that indicates it is under
Apache 2.0 and does not call out that it contains BSD licensing other than
in a LICENSE/README?

If we were providing the file with no source header; I would agree. As it
is though, we are adding an incorrect source header unless we modify our
source header to say "Partly Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation
(ASF) under one or more...".

Hen