www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Adding non-ASF licensing headers to an Incubating project code base
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2016 08:39:00 GMT
On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 12:11 AM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 1) Put this in the LICENSE file (after Apache 2.0 text):
>

> Isn't the short form i.e. point to full text preferred?

? Not understanding.

> 2) Source header:
>

> Perhaps I’m not understanding this but how are we allowed to change the
> license of 3rd party software from BSD to something else with all of the
> owners permission? I didn’t think that BSD allowed that?

Thanks. That wasn't my intent with the language ie) I meant to imply Apache
AND BSD, not Apache WAS BSD..

How about Initial rather than Original; ie:

/* Initial version of this file licensed under the BSD 2-clause license --
see LICENSE file */   ?

The other question is when to add the Apache source header. Assuming we
have CLAs that cover enough of the project to affect every file, then I
believe we could put on now (i.e. the committers have contributed to
Apache, Apache putting those changes out under Apache 2.0). If however we
don't have CLAs to cover all the files, then either a) the project could
add the Apache header as and when they modify those files, or b) we could
have a different source header; something like 'Modifications, if any, are
under the Apache License 2.0 (and then have the typical source header after
that)'.

Roman, any idea how much of the project is covered by CLAs?

Hen