www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Adding non-ASF licensing headers to an Incubating project code base
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2016 03:30:26 GMT
On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 6:40 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <roman@shaposhnik.org>
wrote:

> Hi!
>
> during the review of Apache MADlib (incubating) release
> an issue came up that I'd like to ask for legal-discuss
> opinion on.
>
> The issue has to do with the bulk of MADlib code base
> licensed under the 2-clause BSD license but individual
> files lacking explicit license headers. E.g.:
>
> https://github.com/madlib/madlib/blob/placeholder/src/modules/linalg/average.cpp
>
> Given that the project had multiple contributors I felt
> like ASF MADlib community turning around and
> unilaterally adding BSD license headers might not be
> acceptable. However, some of the IPMC members feel
> that adding something minimal E.g.:
>
>  /* This file is available under a BSD-2-clause license -- see LICENSE */
>
> is desirable.
>
> Thoughts on how to proceed?

I would:

1) Put this in the LICENSE file (after Apache 2.0 text):

----

Originally developed at github.com/madlib/madlib under the following
license.

Copyright The Original MADlib Contributors
All rights reserved.

modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice,
this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS"
AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE
LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR
CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF
SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS
INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN
CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE)
ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE
POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
2) Source header:

/*
 * Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one or more
 * contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file distributed with
 * this work for additional information regarding copyright ownership.
 * The ASF licenses this file to You under the Apache License, Version 2.0
 * (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with
 * the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at
 *
 *      http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
 *
 * limitations under the License.
 */

/* Original version of this file licensed under the BSD 2-clause license --
see LICENSE file */

Hen