www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "david.w.smiley@gmail.com" <david.w.smi...@gmail.com>
Subject Copyright
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2016 22:21:56 GMT
Hello,

I'm a committer/PMC member of the Apache Lucene project.  I do freelance
work and I'm reviewing a contract with an entity that involves me enhancing
Lucene.  The contract states the work done shall be copyrighted by them and
that the headers should state as-such.  There's no license issue -- ASLv2.

Both the CLA and ICLA state that the ASF gets a non-exclusive copyright
license.  So in theory the entity should be happy as they retain their
copyright but I think they want their name there somewhere for credit or
whatever.

I was recently referred to this:
http://apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#headers
and that's helpful (thanks Mark Miller).  So might it be enough to convince
the entity that their name shall be in the NOTICE.txt (yet not the source
headers) and that might be enough?

Another question: should the entity file a CLA?  The CLA refers to
employees and I'm not an employee so perhaps not?

Thanks,
~ David