www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: dependency on CDDL binary
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2016 15:22:10 GMT
On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 7:03 AM, William A Rowe Jr <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 8:50 AM, Luis Villa <luis@lu.is> wrote:
>>
>> Note, though, that it explicitly does not grant patent rights, so likely
>> less appropriate for software.

> Putting a "published" work in the public domain has no impact on patent
> rights, AIUI.  Public Domain is a statement on the copyright claim of the
> work.  The ASF sublicenses and includes many BSD works, for example,
> which also offer no patent license.

I believe the distinction is that CC0 specifically excludes a patent grant in
section 4.a...

  https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode

  a. No trademark or patent rights held by Affirmer are waived, abandoned,
     surrendered, licensed or otherwise affected by this document.

...while on the other hand, the BSD licenses arguably contain an implied
patent grant in that "Redistribution and use... are permitted...".

Marvin Humphrey