www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Adding non-ASF licensing headers to an Incubating project code base
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2016 02:40:00 GMT
Hi!

during the review of Apache MADlib (incubating) release
an issue came up that I'd like to ask for legal-discuss
opinion on.

The issue has to do with the bulk of MADlib code base
licensed under the 2-clause BSD license but individual
files lacking explicit license headers. E.g.:
    https://github.com/madlib/madlib/blob/placeholder/src/modules/linalg/average.cpp

Given that the project had multiple contributors I felt
like ASF MADlib community turning around and
unilaterally adding BSD license headers might not be
acceptable. However, some of the IPMC members feel
that adding something minimal E.g.:

 /* This file is available under a BSD-2-clause license -- see LICENSE */

is desirable.

Thoughts on how to proceed?

Thanks,
Roman.