www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Copyright
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2016 22:26:19 GMT
On 01.03.2016, at 23:21, david.w.smiley@gmail.com wrote:

> I'm a committer/PMC member of the Apache Lucene project.  I do freelance work and I'm
reviewing a contract with an entity that involves me enhancing Lucene.  The contract states
the work done shall be copyrighted by them and that the headers should state as-such.  There's
no license issue -- ASLv2.

> Another question: should the entity file a CLA?  The CLA refers to employees and I'm
not an employee so perhaps not?

Past communication that I have followed here stated that the CCLA is mainly a layer of protection
for the contributor and that all that the ASF cares about is actually the ICLA in which the
contributor states that he has the permission to contribute and to assign the rights stated
in the ICLA.

So if your contract already states this, the CCLA is probably redundant.

Cheers,

-- Richard