www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: Adding non-ASF licensing headers to an Incubating project code base
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2016 23:05:22 GMT
> On Mar 2, 2016, at 11:29 AM, Henri Yandell <bayard@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Adjusting:
>
>   If all lines in the file are covered by CLA/SGA then add ASF header
>   Else if some lines in the file are covered by CLA/SGA then add ASF header (plus the
below).

>   If some (or all) lines in a file are _NOT_ covered by CLA/SGA:
>      If you have reason to believe the contributor expected the file to be part of a
BSD package, add BSD header
>      Else add a note that licensing is unknown and try to replace that file (or those
lines) before graduation.

No.  Add an ASF header if we manage the code because it satisfies the BSD conditions and satisfies
our conditions, regardless of the existence of any other licensing statements within a file.
There is no requirement to ADD a BSD header, anywhere.

If a BSD header already exists, don't remove it unless all of the COPYRIGHT OWNERS of
that specific file's contents agree (NOT all contributors); make it subsidiary to the ASF
header
and clear that BSD applies only to the original code.

Under no circumstances do we add a BSD header that doesn't already exist.  Adding BSD to an
overall LICENSE or README file is fine; we are under no obligation to create notices that
did not already exist, nor is it reasonable to assume the original developers wanted them.

....Roy