www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: Adding non-ASF licensing headers to an Incubating project code base
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2016 23:26:42 GMT
On Mar 2, 2016, at 3:19 PM, Henri Yandell <bayard@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 3:16 PM, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com <mailto:fielding@gbiv.com>>
wrote:

> Then you should fix the header to say something accurate.  It doesn't have to be verbose,
> but it does need to be accurate, like "Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF)
> under the BSD license and/or one or more ...."
>

> So rather than this one line being under the standard source header:
>
> /* Initial version of this file licensed under the BSD 2-clause license -- see LICENSE
file */

> You'd prefer to change the source header?

Yes, I always prefer to fix a bug rather than add a contradiction.

> I'm not against that; I was viewing our source header as an immutable that we should
append to rather than something to chop and splice.

No doubt someone will complain because some licensing verification tool burps,
but I think it is more important that our comments be easily understood by people.
The tools can be fixed.

....Roy