www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: Adding non-ASF licensing headers to an Incubating project code base
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2016 23:42:58 GMT
On Mar 2, 2016, at 3:28 PM, Henri Yandell <bayard@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 3:26 PM, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com <mailto:fielding@gbiv.com>>
wrote:
> On Mar 2, 2016, at 3:19 PM, Henri Yandell <bayard@apache.org <mailto:bayard@apache.org>>
wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 3:16 PM, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com <mailto:fielding@gbiv.com>>
wrote:

>> Then you should fix the header to say something accurate.  It doesn't have to be
verbose,
>> but it does need to be accurate, like "Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation
(ASF)
>> under the BSD license and/or one or more ...."
>>

>> So rather than this one line being under the standard source header:
>>
>> /* Initial version of this file licensed under the BSD 2-clause license -- see LICENSE
file */

>> You'd prefer to change the source header?
>
> Yes, I always prefer to fix a bug rather than add a contradiction.
>
> Why is that a contradiction? Is there a way to word that without it being a contradiction?

Because the ASF source header of

# Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one or more
# contributor license agreements. See the NOTICE file distributed with
# this work for additional information regarding copyright ownership.
# The ASF licenses this file to You under the Apache License, Version 2.0
# (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with
# the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at

is either true or not.  If it is true, the licensing of the initial version is irrelevant
and there would be no mention of BSD.

In this one special case, we are talking about a file that has been received under a
BSD license but contains no existing license notice for BSD and has not been licensed
to the ASF under one or more contributor license agreements.

So, for this special case, we adjust our header to be accurate (or we include no header
at all and just leave the file as is).  Adding a comment after an inaccurate ASF header
does not do the trick.

We don't have the luxury of sticking with our existing policies if the result would
be a lie.  When I was in charge of this stuff, we didn't have any of those policies for
precisely this reason: exceptions matter just as much as the rule.

....Roy